Well ladies and gents, I finally had that chance.
Today we traveled in on our own to Kyoto in order to watch the Aoi Matsuri procession from the Imperial Palace. In Japan, it is quite a rarity to see horses, so the majority of the parade was traditionally dressed men astride beautiful steeds. Unfortunately for those steeds, most of the riders were very inexperienced or at least incapable of calming their mounts, so there were many pinned ears and white rimmed eyes among the slightly antsy horses. Everything proceeded calmly enough, though, and the crowd at the event was absolutely huge.
The festival itself is over 1400 years old, and revolves around Hollyhock (which is why it's on almost every procession participant). This however, was not our only reason for coming into the city on this day.
We wanted to navigate our way to the Shoren-in Temple to see the 800 year old camphor tree(s) and then go shopping in the covered mall that Professor Thomas walked us through the other day.
We picked up all sorts of bobbles and trinkets in the shopping mall, as well as encountering a shop owner's cat and snagging lunch in a traditional-style-no-English-spoken-here tiny dining/bar restaurant. I had my very first bowl of KASTU-DON
Followed quickly by the very delicious and somewhat humorous, yet cheap(!), TAIYAKI
We stayed out for most of the day and by the time we got back to our little apartment, we were exhausted but very happy with what we'd achieved. Nothing else really sticks out about the day....except for when I accidentally got left behind at a subway station in the middle of our commute. (I seem to have a knack for getting lost in subways.......) We quickly found each other again (I hopped the next train headed the same way we were going and met the rest of my group at the next station), but I really need to pay more attention and always keep my phone on me at all times. At least the very best of outcomes was the one we got, right?
We're scheduled to head back into Kyoto tomorrow after lunching in Otsu (on the way to Kyoto) and meeting with Toshimitsu Imai who has been very involved in both the military and the government during WWII and is now a retired policeman. It's bound to be a very interesting day~!

What a great day you all had! Such a magnificant Camphor Tree!! WOW! Loved the parade pics too. And I know now that you are eating well!
ReplyDeleteJust stick together with each other better Miss Katie Lou!! We don't want to worry about you...
Good job on attempting a Japanese speaking restaurant. Are you more comfortable speaking the language in Japan now? PS I'm now on Skype!!
You and SUBWAYS. Glad you kept your head and your friends knew to wait up for you at the next stop...
ReplyDeleteReal Japanese food.... no English.. you have arrived!
Sounds like you had a day to remember. I can only imagine all the little trinkets you bought me at those shops.... and a Japanese shop cat - how cool is that?!
No drifting off when you are out in public YOU. You know better than that. You simply HAVE to be alert at all times! Gaaaaaa!
Mom is looking forward to Skyping with you. I'll get her a web cam next weekend and then you two should have all sorts of fun.
Your pictures are FABULOUS. I can't wait to see them full size when you get back.
Have a great Monday.
I LOVE to read your comments and see your pics! Dan even said you were a pretty good little writer;) Also, he wants to know how far from Fukuoka you are. He would like you to pick up a piece of equipment for him while you are over there...HAHA He is such a comedian huh. Stay safe and have a great time!! Miss you, T.
ReplyDeletePonies! They look like some grumpy Arabs... how odd.
ReplyDeleteThis is Andrea by the way, and I am slowly catching up on all your stuff :P