For our class, we needed to travel by train to Otsu (near Kyoto) to meet Imai-sensei, the 84 year old WWII survivor who we'd be talking to for the day, and to have lunch with. Getting to Otsu was a cinch, and with Imai-sensei's help, getting our orders made in the food court was very quick and with minimal confusion. I ordered (without his help, because I am and should be capable enough in this language to point at a picture and understand the amount I need to pay) BEEF CURRY NOODLES
and then promptly slurped some bright yellow curry juice on my white cardigan. Yes, I saw this coming since I was wearing white, but I was doing quite well until I tried to short cut by twirling my soba noodles around my chopsticks. They sprung free and made quite a splash.
Someday, I will learn to just not get soup.
The trains we traveled on today provided a small bit of entertainment for Ashley and me, today.
For some reason we had this stuck in our heads before the trip,
and whenever we'd go into a tunnel aboard the trains we'd sing
SECRET TUNNELLLLLLLL, SECRET TUNNELLLLLL
and then move on with our day.
We did this every single time.
Did it get old? For those around us, I'm sure, but not for us.
Unfortunately, our professor mixed up train stations for us on the way back from Kyoto station, so we got to ride two more trains than we would have if we had gone the right way, and you know what that means....
more SECRET TUNNELSSSSSS,
SECRET TUNNELSSSSS
SECRET
SECRET
SECRET
SECRET
TUNNELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~!
By the way, for those who are interested, Kyoto station is huge and absolutely beautiful inside. (I didn't have many opportunities today for pictures, so bear with me)
For those of you losing faith in my blogs, tomorrow is the Tokyo trip. This means that I will have lots of decent photos including but not limited to pictures of people from the Harajuku district, the Shinkansen ride, and the Yasukuni shrine.
It's going to be a very long day (but a great day!)
SECRET TUNNELLLLLLLLLLLLLL *rips through cords on the air mandolin*
ReplyDeleteAt any rate, I really love the SYMMETRY and composition of this last photo~
Beautiful train station...Still wondering what your 84 year old WWII interviewee had to say...Please elaborate!! Does he dislike/distrust the US, like Gpa holds grudges?
ReplyDeletetunnellllllllllll yeah. ...and dieeeeeeeeeeee. :D
ReplyDeletecool station, too.
Maybe next time you should give everyone a break and try holding your breath in the tunnel. Okay fine, sing.
ReplyDeleteDid your WWII survivor speak of Bushido?
I like your train station pictures.
If I had been on the train with you, I would have sung, "whoops there goes another rubber tree plant" during the tunnels.
Arregamo domo sama con dias.