Jul 5, 2011

drumming song



Provided I can get my internet to work long enough for me to upload the videos of today's cultural experience, you'll be able to get a taste of what Rory, Ashley, Jenny and I witnessed today.

Three woman from the Shiga prefecture group of Taiko players (as a hobby, the group has a wide range of members aging from 6 to 70 years old) came to the JCMU to do a demonstration of traditional story telling through performance on large drums. It was so much cooler than I had imagined, and after their two pieces they taught us an easily strung together beat and let us 'play from our hearts', too.










The day was further topped off by the July birthday party (they hold one each month for whoever's birthday is being spent in Japan) and the three gallons of ice cream (from Hokkaido) they provided for us. Delicious~

It's really fun to spend afternoons with my friends in 126. Whether we get work done right away or not, there's lots of laughter and always a new memory made and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

2 comments:

  1. and oh, the strange tangents we seem to find ourselves on~ Thank you for being such a gracious host <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter the drummer...Never thought I'd see the day! What fun for all of you. The cultural portion of your schooling has been so enriching for ALL of us! Wow!

    Nice of you to share your oasis in 126...

    ReplyDelete