Because I'm a temporary/seasonal hire (just until the end of the summer), I'm not getting my own name tag. Instead I got to choose between Sara or Kirstie (ex-employees) to pose as while I work. Seeing as I'm Katie, I thought Kirstie was close enough for me to still react to if someone shouted that to get my attention, so Kirstie it is. For the whole summer.
It's been the most agonizingly stressful job that I've had so far in my short life, but I don't think I'm failing too hard yet. I've only dropped/knocked over things three times in 5 shifts... and only one of those times made a mess on a table. - __ -;;
Why is it stressful? Because I still don't feel like I'm server material. I'm awkward, forgetful and I don't milk people like some of my coworkers. On top of that, I'd feel really weird flirting for money. That's just... not my thing. I've worked with a different server almost every shift so far, and I've met one that I get along with really well, one that is very knowledgeable, one that is very one track minded, and one that I don't like very much. Luckily I worked with the one that I get along with two nights in a row, and that helped make this week of work go by much faster. I have my first day off work this Friday! Then it's back to the grind.
The most interesting things that have happened on the job so far:
-Served as deaf Asian family of 7 a half an hour before close. I've never wished that I knew basic sign language more in my entire life.
-On my first day, a bus load of Europeans stopped at the Hut. I served two tables of New Zealanders. Lovely accents.
-A kind ex-Alaskan man (just moved to WY) gave me the remainder of his Canadian coins with the reasoning that I have more of a chance to go back there than he ever will. He also tipped me in American money.
-I also had to dodge one of these:
A growing challenge that both Josh and I overlooked is how to get our money in the bank out here. Neither of our banks have branches within 100 miles of Buffalo, and whereas his job doesn't direct deposit, most of my money is made in tips... which need to be deposited because my wallet will explode otherwise (I've been making ~$10/hr in tips so far! Too much for my little wallet to handle). Gotta figure something out soon. > <
He is working mornings at 6 until just before 3pm every week day that it doesn't rain, and so I'm often left here waiting for my closing shift alone. I've gotten into the habit of playing ME while he's out. Something that's on my list and will take my mind off of his absence.
In other news, the 365 project is going well, though with the internet being so poor 90% of the time here, I get a few days behind posting every once in a while. This Friday, I'm going to have a study session with A-chan over a google+ hangout or something of that nature, and here in WY it's stayed really cool temps (around 50) while home in MI is sweltering in 90s and humidity. /And/ I have access to horses whenever I want. There isn't much to complain about out here,
Sounds like things will work out in time, and that you're doing admirably at waitressing if you're not being someone else but still making good tips, right?
ReplyDeleteAnd way to dodge a bullet, hahaha